Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Problem Solvers

Where have all the problem solvers gone?

I am worth my weight in gold to my employer for one reason and one reason only.  I am a problem solver.  Not always by the rules, not always clean and tidy, frequently with some yelling and screaming.  But always solved!  When I hire new employees I often wish there was a test that would give me a problem solving score on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being best.  I'd hire anyone 8 or over on the spot.  You just can't find problem solvers anymore.  Most of today's young employees are the anti-problem solver.  They get hung up on every obstacle.  I blame our generation.  We were helicopter parents and swooped in and took care of every little problem for our children.  As a result they never had to solve a problem as a child or young adult. It was too late for them by the time they were off to college or entering the work force.  Problem solving is a skill that is learned but can't be taught.  Make no mistake about it....this is a huge problem in the business world.  Now businesses are full of non-problem solvers.  As a result problems are not getting solved the at the same rate as they did in the old days when problem solvers were abundant.  It is time for us to go back and develop this resource in our youth.  That is one problem I'd like to solve.........


No comments:

Post a Comment